Thursday, July 1, 2010

Les Dirty Fab


"Is the closer just a random band or do people actually come to see them?"

"I think people actually like to see them."




I saw Les Savy Fav at the Northside Festival, hours after Elvis Perkins in Dearland. It was a pleasant evening, not too hot or sticky. But I was tired and ready to go back to my friend's apartment, knowing I had to get up at 5:45 to get to work upstate the next morning. Something told me to stay and not bail out of the evening early like I'm wont to do when I have other upcoming responsibilities or obligations weighing on my shoulders. I'm glad I stayed.

The first song began and something emerged in a beastly furry multicolored suit. It ran through the crowd with stage hands holding the microphone over our heads so that a Ghost Ship decapitation situation did not occur. He sang, and I assumed it was an early 30-something man. I could see the person's slight potbelly protruding from underneath the suit, but no other clues gave me insight as to who this man was. He sang, but you couldn't even see his face. He eventually busted out of the Beast Suit and I was taken aback by what was in front of me on the stage. The lead singer was grossly bearded, overweight, over-the-top, poorly bathed, and balding. Probably in his early 30s but looked about 40. My shock turned into an "Alright! Hell yeah!" since I had just had a conversation about how one only sees the "pretty" people on stage anymore. But then I was disgusted again, as he ripped his shirt off and pranced around heavily in skimpy cut off jeans while caressing the inside of his belly button. However, in between songs he won me back with his silly Dan Bandish banter and dry delivery.

Train of thought: OH GOD! THAT'S HORRIBLE! WHY IS HE DOING THAT! Hey, he's pretty funny. HOLY CRAP IT'S ALL HANGING OUT OF THE SIDE OF HIS SHORTS! Wow, this music is actually pretty good. AHH! HE'S RUNNING THROUGH THE CROWD AND DRINKING PEOPLE'S BEERS AND SWEATING ON THEM! Hmm, his voice is pretty good. I like it. WHY DOES HE KEEP SPITTING WATER ON THE CROWD! These songs are catchy! HE BETTER KEEP HIS SHORTS ON. Aww, he's kind of endearing and a great performer... HIS BEYONCE-LIKE GYRATIONS ARE REPULSIVE!

So that's pretty much how it went. My friends and I could not look away from this musical shock and awe campaign. And now I want all their albums.

Here's a video from the actual show I was at. Disregard the horrible sound (it's the same song as at the top of the post), I just want you to see the image that has been burned in my brain since Sunday:



No comments: